Thursday, April 11, 2013

Air Force Going Away Party

We have moved to affichomanieblog.com! See this post here.




My brother is leaving for the Air Force in 5 days. Where did the time go? Honestly, wasn't he just a baby wearing a camo costume for Halloween?

Now his room is empty and he's gearing up for 6 years of being a bad ass. Obviously my little brother leaving for the Air Force is upsetting, but I have to remember to look on the bright side. He's getting a career, he gets to travel and meet new people, he's going to have tons of fun (once boot camp is over, of course). Hey, maybe I'll even get to travel to see him too!

Over the weekend we threw him a party. His friends, family, and family friends all showed up to wish him well and jot down their addresses so he can write letters from boot camp. Air Force boot camp is in Texas so we went with a slight southern theme and served sweet tea, coca cola, and banana pudding for dessert. We also had a build your own sandwich bar, homemade potato salad, and reese's peanut butter cup brownies (Sean's favorite candy).

The Drinks




Coca-Cola in a metal bucket we found at Michael's and Sweet Tea from mason jars. I love the blue striped paper straws we had!







The Food




Our sandwich bar included 4 types of cheese, 3 meats, lettuce, tomato, onions, cucumbers, spinach, 3 mustards, mayo, oil & vinegar, ranch, and pickles. My mom made her amazing potato salad and brownies. We also had the usual veggie tray and chips. I made vanilla custard with banana slices, fresh whipped cream, homemade caramel and a shortbread cookie all in little mason jars. Don't worry, I'll be sharing the recipes.
























































































































The Decorations




We went with a nose art theme (as you may remember from the invitations) aka scantily clad ladies that were normally painted on planes. Sean loved it. High five to Bryce who printed and mounted everything annnnd made that beautiful banner up top. I also put wrenches in vases since Sean is going into a maintenance field, but nobody noticed so whatever.































Everything came together really well and I'm still eating leftovers, but most importantly I think Sean had a really great time. 

His welcome home party is going to be epic!







4 comments:

  1. Great party ideas, Ashley. My son is leaving in August and I am planning his going away party. I'd love to steal some of your ideas. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful party. Very best of luck to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Air Force Going Away Party! That is such a unique theme. I just loved each and everything in this bash. Thanks a lot for sharing photographs. At some domestic Seattle venues we also hosted a Military themed bash for our son. He loved Military and wants to join that when he would grow up. He really loved all the arrangements.

    ReplyDelete